Lt. Col. Brian Loftus is the acting commander of the 349th Mission Support Group, one of four groups assigned to the 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, California. He is responsible for providing support to the personnel assigned to the Wing.
Lt. Col. Loftus received his commission in 2002 through the Air Force ROTC program at San Jose State University, San Jose, California. He served in various Security Forces positions including two squadron commands and deployed as the Director of Operations for the 732d Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Balad Air Base, Iraq. He also deployed as a detachment commander for the 655th Air Expeditionary Squadron, Camp Phoenix and Camp Eggers, Afghanistan.
As a civilian, he is a deputy district attorney with the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office in Salinas, California. Prior to this assignment, he was the individual mobilization augmentee to the Operations Branch Director, Security Forces Directorate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois.
2002 Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, Calif.
2007 International Junior Officer Leadership Development Course
2009 Squadron Officer School
2014 Juris Doctor, University of Oregon School of Law
1. August 2002 – August 2004, Security Forces Administrative Officer, 14th Security Forces Squadron, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. August 2004 – October 2005, Wing Antiterrorism Officer, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, Korea
3. October 2005 – July 2006, Assistant Operations Officer, 22d Security Forces Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
4. July 2006 – August 2013, Operations Officer, 99th Security Forces Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. August 2013 – April 2016, Commander, 419th Security Forces Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah.
6. April 2016 – September 2017, Commander, 349th Security Forces Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
7. September 2017 – February 2021, IMA to Operations Branch Director, Security Forces Directorate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. February 2021 – Present, Deputy Commander, 349th Missions Support Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with service star
Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
Korean Defense Service Medal
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star
NATO Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant – June 2002
First Lieutenant – June 2004
Captain – October 2007
Major – July 2014
Lieutenant Colonel – October 2020