Col. Jeffrey (Jeff) J. Pickard, is the commander of the 349th Maintenance Group, Travis Air Force Base, California. He leads AFRC’s largest associate maintenance group; consisting of over 700 personnel across three aircraft maintenance squadrons, one maintenance squadron and a group staff. He is responsible for managing an annual budget of $21 million dollars to organize, train and equip his personnel; while providing organizational and field-level maintenance for 18 C-5, 27 KC-10, and 13 C-17 assigned aircraft.
Colonel Pickard entered the Air Force in 1980 and served as an Integrated Avionics Aircraft Maintenance Technician until 1989 when he graduated from the United States Air Force Officers Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. He separated from active duty in 1992 and started his career in the Air Force Reserve. He is an Air Reserve Technician, a full-time civil service employee serving in a selected position within a military unit.
The colonel has deployed to expeditionary units in Europe, the Pacific and Southwest Asia as a maintenance officer in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1989 Bachelor of Science Degree, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1990 U.S. Air Force Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officers Course
1996 U.S. Air Force Services Officers Course
1996 U.S. Air Force Mortuary Officers Course
1999 International Junior Officers Leadership Development School
2000 Squadron Officers School
2001 Air Command and Staff College
2006 Air War College
2009 Masters Degree, Webster University
1. October 1980 - December 1989, Integrated Avionics Maintenance Technician, various fighter wings in the Continental United States and overseas
2. January 1990 - May 1990, Student, Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officers Course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
3. June 1990 - December 1990, Officer in Charge, Accessory Branch, 49th Component Repair Squadron, 49th Tactical Fighter Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.Mex.
4. December 1990 - July 1991, OIC, Propulsion Branch, 49th Component Repair Squadron, 49th Tactical Fighter Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.Mex.
5. July 1991 - November 1991, Special Assistant to the Commander, 49th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.Mex.
6. November 1991 - October 1992, OIC, Fabrication Branch, 49th Maintenance Squadron, 49th FW, Holloman Air Force Base, N.Mex.
7. January 1995 - June 1998, Operations Officer, 452nd Services Flight, 452nd Support Group, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
8. June 1998 - April 1999, B-Flight Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC, 452nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, 452nd Maintenance Group, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
9. May 1999 - October 2002, Maintenance Supervisor, 452nd Maintenance Squadron, 452nd Maintenance Group, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
10. November 2002 - June 2004, Deputy Group Commander, 452d Maintenance Group, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
11. June 2004 - July 2006, Assistant Chief, Logistics Resources Branch, Logistics Directorate, Headquarters Fourth Air Force, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
12. July 2006 - Oct 2009, Commander, 931st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, McConnell Air Force Base, Kans.
13. Oct 2009 - June 2011, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, 931 Air Refueling Group, McConnell Air Force Base, Kans.
14. July 2011-Sept. 2013, Commander, 507th Maintenance Group, 507th ARW, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. September 2013-Present, Commander, 349th Maintenance Group, 349th Air Mobility Group, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with three oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Mobilization Device and Hour Glass
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant: December 1989
First Lieutenant: December 1991
Captain: December 1997
Major: May 2002
Lieutenant Colonel: August 2006
Colonel: February 2012
(Current as of January 2018)