Col. Gia M. Wilson-Mackey is the Commander, 349th Maintenance Group, Travis Air Force Base, California. The group is responsible for the recruitment, retention, training, and combat readiness of over 700 Air Force Reserve officer and enlisted personnel who support C-5M Super Galaxy, C-17 Globemaster III, and KC-10 Extender maintenance. She is responsible for the group’s on-equipment maintenance effort in support of contingency and peacetime requirements in execution of air refueling, aero medical evacuation, and airlift operations missions across the globe. Her group is assigned to the 349th Air Mobility Wing of the Air Force Reserve Command’s Fourth Air Force providing combatant commanders with Global Reach capability, local aircrew flying training, and executing Air Force Reserve Command and Air Mobility Command requirements anytime and anywhere.
Col. Wilson-Mackey began her U.S. Air Force career as an electro-environmental journeyman with the 401st Combat Logistics Support Squadron at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. After earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Educational Rehabilitation with a focus on people who are Deaf, she commissioned in 1998.
Col. Wilson-Mackey was activated for Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and served with Defense Energy Services Europe as Operations Officer setting up the fuels supply bridge for both Afghanistan and Iraq. In 2009, she was the first United States Air Force Reserve Officer selected for the Logistics Career Broadening Program. During this time, she oversaw the stand-up of the F-117 engine depot at Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center. In 2011 she cross-trained into Aircraft Maintenance. In 2013 she was activated and led a deployment rotation of an Active Duty Aircraft Maintenance Unit to Al Dhafra Air Base, UAE supporting the E-3 AWACS.
Throughout her career, Col. Wilson-Mackey has been assigned to squadron, center, agency, and command positions. Prior to her current position, she was the Deputy Commander for the 934th Maintenance Group and Wing Process Manager for the 934th Airlift Wing as a Civil Servant.
1995 Bachelor of Science degree in Educational Rehabilitation, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1998 Academy of Military Science
1999 Supply Officer Technical School/Honor Graduate
2007 Squadron Officer School-Correspondence
2011 Air Command and Staff College-Correspondence
2012 Master of Arts, International Studies, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.
2012 Accelerated Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2017 Green Belt Academics and Certification
2018 Black Belt Academics
2019 Air War College-Correspondence
1. July 1990 – June 1996, Electro-Environmental Craftsman and Aircraft Battle Damage Technician, 401st Combat Logistic Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. June 1996 – October 1998, Electro-Environmental Craftsman, 349th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
3. November 1998 – November 2000, Officer-in-Charge, Fuels Operation Flight, 452nd Logistics Support
Squadron, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
4. November 2000 - October 2004, Operations Officer, Defense Energy Support Center-Europe, Wiesbaden,
5. October 2004 - October 2007, Multi National Logistics Officer, US Joint Forces Command, J3/4 Norfolk, Va.
6. October 2007 - October 2008, Joint Logistics Analyst, US Joint Forces Command, J9, Suffolk, Va.
7. October 2008 - July 2009, Surface Deployment and Distribution Command, Deputy, G9, Ft Eustis, Va.
8. July 2009 - July 2011, Logistic Career Broadening Officer, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
9. August 2011 - October 2011, IMA to the Installation Deployment Officer, 72nd Mission Support Group, Tinker
10. October 2011 - November 2013, Aircraft Maintenance Operations Officer, 513th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
11. December 2013 - February 2017, Commander, 513th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
12. February 2017 - July 2019, Wing Process Officer, 934th Airlift Wing, Minneapolis, Minn.
13. July 2019 – August 2020, Deputy Commander, 934th Maintenance Group, 934th Airlift Wing, Minneapolis,
14. August 2020 – Present, Commander, 349th Mission Support Group, 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Reserve Meritorious Service Medal with two Oak Leaf Cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with one Oak Leaf Cluster with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with six Oak Leaf Clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with gold hourglass and two M devices
Air Force Training Ribbon with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Current as of July 2021