|COLONEL MELVIN J. "SONNY" GIDDINGS, JR.|
Colonel M. J. (Sonny) Giddings, Jr., is the commander of the 349th Maintenance Group, Travis AFB, California. As commander, he reviews the functional areas of aircraft maintenance, supply, and transportation in terms of specific objectives, relative priorities, capabilities and limitations. Colonel Giddings also develops, directs and executes plans, policies and procedures for training the 830 logistics personnel assigned, along with determining the effective use of personnel, equipment, and budgeted monies.
Colonel Giddings entered active duty initially as an enlisted communications electrician in the U.S. Navy. Following a break in service, he attended Officer Training School, Medina Annex, Lackland AFB, Texas, and was commissioned into the Air Force in 1981.
Colonel Giddings, while a core Maintenance Officer, has experience in Supply as a Supply/Fuels Officer and in Wing Plans as Maintenance Plans Logistician.
He has deployed, supported or lead numerous operations and contingences since entering the Air Force Reserve in 1981.
1980 Associate Degree in Petroleum Engineering, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, La.
1981 Bachelor of Science Professional Aviation, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, La.
1991 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Air Command and Staff College (seminar)
2004 Air War College (correspondence)
1. 1972-1973 Interior Communications Electrician, USS Canopus, Holy Loch, Scotland
2. 1973-1974 Interior Communications Electrician, USS Holland, USS Simon Lake, Rota, Spain
3. 1981-1982 Officer Training School, Medina Annex, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
4. 1983-1984 Air Force Academy Liaison Officer (IMA)
5. 1984-1986 Avionics Maintenance Squadron Branch OIC, 433rd AW, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
6. 1986- 1987 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
7. 1987-1989 Organizational Maintenance Squadron, 433rd AW, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
8. 1990-1992 Combat Support Squadron, Supply/Fuels Officer 433rd AW, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
9. 1992-1994 Maintenance Control Officer (ART), 403rd Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
10. 1994-1997 Aircraft Maintenance Officer (ART), 403rd Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
11. 1997-2001 Assistant Director of Wing Plans (ART), 403rd Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
12. 2001-2004 Assistant Chief, Maintenance Engineering Branch (ART), 4th AF HQs, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
13. 2004- 2007 Commander, 940th ARW Maintenance Group, Beale Air Force Base, Calif.
14. 2007- 2009 Commander, 482d FW Maintenance Group, Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla.
15. 2009 - Present Commander, 349th Maintenance Group, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal (three oak leaf clusters)
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award (five oak leaf clusters)
Navy Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal (two service stars)
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Services Medal (one service star)
Air Force Longevity Service (six oak leaf clusters)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal (silver hour glass and one 'M' device)
Small Arms expert Marksmanship Ribbon (pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon
Life Member, Reserve Officers Association
Life Member, Air Force Association
Member, Tanker / Airlift Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 6 Nov 1981
First Lieutenant 1 Mar 1985
Captain 16 Apr 1989
Major 16 Apr 1996
Lieutenant Colonel 12 Sep 2002
Colonel 17 Feb 2006
(Current as of August 2011)